Moniteau County, Missouri
Phillips Funeral Home
(Est. 1912 by J. E. Williams)
From the 1980 History of Moniteau County:
The Williams-Meyer Funeral Home traces its origin to 1912 when the late J. E. Williams moved from Jamestown to California and became the partner of J. E. Longan, who later sold his interest in their furniture, music and undertaking goods store to J. B. Garnett. Mr. Williams bought his partner's share in 1922 and within a few years, the business became a family operation.
The present funeral home was built in 1935, on the site of the historic old Harmon house which was used as a hotel during the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Williams, their son, Hugh, daughter and son-in-law, Blanche and Harold Friedmeyer, were all involved in the funeral business at that time.
Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Woodard purchased the funeral home in 1968, and bought the house next door after the death of Mrs. J. E. Williams in 1971. Mr. and Mrs. James Friesen boought the home in January, 1976 and operated the business two years.
Don Meyer, who was reared in California, became the owner in February 1978. He is assisted by his wife, Darles, and mother, Lee Jane.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or
comments about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: April 02, 2015