Assembly of God Church (1944-present)
From History of Jamestown, Missouri 1837-1987:
The church building was built in 1867 by the Masons and the Cumberland Presbyterian people. The present Assembly of God congregation was formed in 1944. The first pastors were Sister Scott and Sister Cox. The Deacon Board consisted of Herman Buerky, Carl Buerky, and Doris Hutchison. The present (1987) pastor is Rev. Hatten and the present deacon board is Bill Buerky, J T Cassil, C H Cassil. The secretary-treasurer is Judy Buerky. The Sunday School Supt. is Gail Cook.
April 5, 1987 began the "fulfillment of a dream of he church" as the first clumps of dirt were dug on the site where a new church is to be built.
Over 30 members of the congregation as well as Jamestown city officials turned out for the ground breaking ceremonies, welcomed by Rev. Melvin Hatten of the church. Also in attendance were District Secretary L Jack Moore, Sectional Presbyter Rich Orrell and the Jamestown Assembly of God deacon board - Bill Buerky, J T Cassil, C H Cassil, Amil Pace and Herman Buerky.
Hatten was first to dig a symbolic clump of dirt with a shovel painted gold for the occasion. Each of the deacon board members followed with Herman Buerky encouraged to shovel twice as he was a member of the church's original deacon board and is now a lifetime board member. A scripture reading an prayer were offered by Orrell and Moore, respectively.
The church purchased land last year but the planning for the new church has been going on for sometime, Hatten said. He estimates the new church should be completed by mid-October.
The new church will be 34x92 feet, much larger than the present church. The main level will include a sanctuary, nursery, restrooms, pastor's office and dressing rooms. The lower level, which features a walk-in basement, will house the fellowship hall, kitchen, restrooms and three classrooms.
On the seven acres purchased, the congregation is also hoping to develop a softball diamond, nature trail and park area. The land is just down the road from the old church, on Highway 179.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: March 06, 2011