Flag Spring Baptist Church (1879-Present)
From History of Concord Baptist Association (Cole, 1973):
During the winter
months of 1878-79, a revival meeting, conducted by Rev. Jno Wood, was held at
the Oak Hill school house. Several were saved and united with the Pilot Grove
Baptist Church until our house of worship was built, and then they united with
Flag Spring Church.
Flag Spring Baptist Church was organized the fourth Saturday in March, 1879. The council was composed of Rev. Wilson Alice, Rev. Nicholas Allee, Rev. John Wood, and eight deacons. The organization was based on the church covenant and Articles of Faith as laid down in Mell's Church Manual. There were thirty-eight charter members. The church was named after the nearby spring which was surrounded by flowering flags.
The land for the church building was given by J. L. Meyers.
The fourth Saturday in May, a building committee composed of W. D. Allee, P. P. Allee, J. L. Meyers and Wm. Scott was appointed. They were given power to secure outsiders to assist, in superintending the work. Part of the lumber for the building was cut and hewed from nearby timber. John Phillips was the carpenter, and the building was completed in 1879.
In the early history, business meetings we're held on Saturday morning at eleven o'clock. Saturday evening services were also held. The first church clerk was elected in May, 1879. The first church Treasurer was appointed in March, 1880. The first set pastor's salary was fifty dollars per year for one fourth time work.
The church has had a Sunday School since its early history. In the beginning Sunday School was only held during the spring and summer months. The other months a Sunday morning prayer meeting was held part of the time.
The first pledge to Home Missions was made in 1886; it was five dollars. The first pledge to Foreign Missions was fourteen dollars and was made in 1890. The church entertained the association for the Annual Meeting in 1887, 1906 and 193.2.
In the year of 1904, the present house of worship was built. After the building was completed, the first and only organ was bought. A dedication service was held in November, 1904. The church later went to full-time work. A B.T.U. and a W.M.S. were organized. Two Daily Vacation Bible Schools were conducted and a mid-week prayer service was started. A basement was also dug and a furnace bought.
Pastors who have
served the church are: Nicholas Allee, R. L. Hood, L. F. Ryan, Jno Wood, Wilson
Allee, Jehu Robertson, Robert Harris, Wm. Robertson, J. W. Williams, John Odom,
R. Q. Kelly, D. P. Row, W. D. Scrivner, L. R. Kenny, J. M. Tate, J. S. Price,
Joseph DeWitt, Nv E. Williams, Roy Martin, Steward McDanial, Wayne Masters, Bob
Merrill, Jim Rhoades, Jack Gilliam, Dale Alien, Robert Streeter, Zane Chesser,
L. C. Roots, Bill Martenson, FJbert White, Keith Williams and the present
speaker is Darrell Harris.
In 1950, the church purchased property from John Lenord for a parsonage. Rooms were built in the church basement. Other improvements include: A deep well, Sanded floors, aisle carpets, Venetian blinds, a new modern kitchen with cabinets, hot water heater, stove and refrigerator.
In 1959, a new pulpit
and Lord's supper table were built, and a new gas furnace was installed.
In 1960, a new addition to the church was added. The auditorium was remodeled; the ceiling was lowered, and new pews were installed. Three new Sunday School rooms, a vestibule and two rest rooms were in the new addition. Four dozen new chairs and two chancel chairs were purchased. These improvements were made possible by a gift left to the church by the late Mr. and Mrs. Wash Allee. A bronze plaque has been placed in the vestibule in memory of them. Storm windows and doors and porch awning were purchased by members of the church. Sunday, June 11, 1961, a dedication service was held with an all day service and a basket dinner.
From the History of Moniteau County 2000:
During the winter months of 1878-79 a revival was held at Oak Hill School. It was conducted by Rev John Wood and many people were saved. They united with Pilot Grove Baptist Church until our house of worship was built. The land for the church was given by J L Meyers. The church was named for the flags, a flower, that grew around a nearby spring.
The fourth Saturday in March, 1879, Flag Spring Church was organized. The council was composed of Reverends Wilson Allee, Nicholas Allee, John Wood and eight deacons. The church was organized by the church covenant and Articles of Faith as laid down in Mell's Church Manual. There were 38 charter members.
In the early history, business meetings were held on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and worship services on Saturday night. The first set pastor's salary was $50 per year to Rev Nicholas Allee for quarter time work. Sunday School was held only during the spring and summer months. The other months a Sunday morning prayer meeting was held part of the time. Baptisms were held in the creek.
The first pledge to Home Missions was $5 made in 1886. The first pledge to Foreign Missions was $14 made in 1890.
Rev Nicholas Allee was the first pastor and served for 16 years at different intervals. Rev R L Hood held the longest pastorate, serving 24 years at different intervals. He served for 18 years at one time and finished his ministerial career here when he was forced to give up his work due to advanced age and failing health. It was under his leadership that the present house of worship was built.
In 1950 the church purchased property, known as the Jack Hume farm, from John Leonard for a parsonage. The property was sold in 1975. In February 1966, Albert Bolinger gave forty acres of land in memory of his wife, Mary. A monument, bearing the inscription on a granite nameplate: "In Memory of Albert and Mary Bolinger" was constructed at the entrance.
The question was raised in the past that maybe the church should close but believers felt that the church had a place and a meaningful purpose. Through many prayers and pulling together, the church stands graciously on a hill overlooking the Moreau Creek serving as a lighthouse to all who come to worship.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: November 30, 2010