Green Grove Baptist Church (1883-Present)

 

 

From the July 3, 1884 Tipton Times:

The dedication of Oak Grove Union Church, 7 miles south-east of Tipton transpired last Sunday as per announcement. The ceremonies were imposing and appropriate and were conducted by Revs. Porter, Logan and Robertson. A considerable delegation from Tipton was present, among whom were: Jno. W. Ryan, Luther Crawford, L. S. Ferguson, Jackson, James and Charles Thomas, and Myron Stearnes; Misses Belle and Rosa Youkey, Katie and Lizzie Thomas, Roby and Emma Stearns, Laura Stringfellow and Stella Crawford.

 

From History of Concord Baptist Association (Cole, 1973):

After using the Green Grove public school building, for a place of worship for sometime, the Christian people of the community realized their need for a place of worship. As a result, during the latter part of 1883 and the early part of 1884, the Green Grove Church house was built by the Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians. Seven brethren and sisters met and organized the Green Grove Baptist Church. The seven charter members were J. A. Scott, A. D. Smith, A. G. Hickman, W. W. Grinstead, Julie Griffin, Elizabeth Jennison, and Alice Hickman. The building being a union building, the Baptist were allotted the first Sunday in each month.

On April 1885, the church met and called Rev. W. M. Robinson as pastor and elected Beuford Allee and Joseph Irey as deacons. A. G. Hickman was elected church clerk. In January 1889, Rev. Nick Allee was elected pastor at a salary of $50.00 per year.

 

During the year of 1926, the interest of the Methodists and Presbyterians was bought by the Baptists. At the same time, one half acre of land was purchased which is the present sight of the church. In 1927, it was voted to move the church to this sight. The building was torn down, moved, and rebuilt. On July 29, 1928, it was dedicated. Rev. L. E. Lamb preached the dedicatory sermon, and Rev. Roscoe Lander offered the prayer of dedication. A collection of $147.97 was taken.

 

In 1953, a new basement was dug under the Church, and the auditorium was redecorated. On August 28, 1953, these improvements were dedicated to the Lord. The prayer of dedication was led by Rev. J. M. James associational missionary, and the dedicatory message was by a former pastor, Rev. G. Elmo Purvis. Rev. Jerry Jenkins was pastor at the time.

 

On July 18, 1961, the Church building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. services were held in the Latham School building until a new church building was finished. The new building was completed on October 15,1961, and the building was dedicated December 17,1961. The dedicatory message was brought by Dr. Curtis Hutchison. The dedication prayer was led by Roy Thixton, Jefferson City, and the benediction was by Hughes Scherff. Rev. A. D. Langston was pastor.

 

In 1954, Mrs. E. E. Proctor, associational WMU president, and other women from Tipton Baptist Church and Mrs. A. B. Constantz, State WMS director, came to help the mission minded women of the church organize a Women's Missionary Society. The organization had nine charter members with Mrs. Hughes Scherff, president. The organization grew and soon became a Woman's Missionary Union with a WMS, Girls' Auxiliary and Sunbeam Band. Names of the organizations have changed, but Green Grove Church still has an active WMU providing missions opportunities for women. youth and children.

 

In 1955, a Brotherhood organization was started for Baptist men.

Robert Mitzel was elected to serve as president, but the men soon lost interest and the organization was disbanded. several years later a Royal Ambassador organization was provided for the boys, but because of the lack of leadership, it too ceased to function.

 

From the beginning, Sunday School was provided for all age groups.

Even during the era when the church had preaching services part-time, a Sunday School was provided every Sunday. The Church moved from half-time to full-time preaching services in the early fifties. Prayer services were held on Saturday night because student pastors were not on the field during the week. A Training Union was organized, and often the attendance equaled or excelled the Sunday School attendance. Then suddenly interest lagged, and the Training Union was disbanded. Sunday night services were continued until interest dropped, and it seemed no longer feasible to continue the evening preaching services. At present, Sunday evenings are used for Church wide Missions Prayer services and Missions Book studies. Girls in Action and Acteens also meet on Sunday evenings. Many of the missions activities include the boys of the church.

Rev. Robert LaFever, Jr., Chillicothe, is the present pastor. The past year WMU enrollment, Sunday School attendance and church membership have increased. The Lord is still using a little rural church to tell the good news of Jesus.

 

The church has been blessed by the following thirty-two pastors:

W. M Robertson, Jesse Hickman, John Robinson, Nick Allee, Rev. Simms, Rev. Syms, J. W. Williams, T. R. White, R. L. Hood, Rev. Bruce, John Robinson, W. D. Pulois, Rev. Cox, Rev. Schclette, J. M. Tate, Wilson Allee, Rev. Price, N. E. Williams, Rev. Hickey, Elmo Purvis, F. D. Cook, Roy Martin, Wayne Masters, Jerry Jenkins, Bob Busler, Bill Breshears, A. D. Langston, Jim Layman, Sam Upton, Floyd Leimkiller, John Potter and Robert LaFever, Jr.

 

The present (2000) deacons are E. M. Pettigrew, Hughes Scherff and Harold Fulks. Others who have served as deacons are A. G. Hickman, .Joseph Irey, Joseph Scott, D. B. Baxter, L. M. Hickman, C. O. Boggs, Reed Irey, Hughes Scherff, Norman Garber, Edward Pettigrew, Floyd Fulks, and Harold Fulks. Harold Fulks is the present treasurer.

 

From the History of Moniteau County 1980:

History of the Green Grove Baptist Church from 1884 to 1980

After using the Green Grove public school building for a place of worship for some time, the Christian people of the community realized their need for a place of worship. As a result, during the latter part of 1883 and the early part of 1884, the Green Grove Church house was built by the Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian. Seven brethren and sisters met and organized the Green Grove Baptist Church. The seven charter members were J. A. Scott, A. D. Smith, A. G. Hickman, W. W. Grinstead, Julie Griffin, Elizabeth Jennison, and Alice Hickman. The building, being a union building, the Baptist were allotted the first Sunday in each month.

On April 1885, the Church met and called Rev. W. M. Robinson as pastor and elected Beuford Allee and Joseph Irey as deacons. A. G. Hickman was elected church clerk. In January, 1889, Rev. Nick Allee was elected pastor at a salary of $50.00 per year.

During the year of 1926, the interest of the Methodist and Presbyterians was bought by the Baptist. At the same time., one-half acre of land was purchased which is the present sight of the church. In 1927, it was voted to move the church to this sight. The building was torn down, moved and rebuilt. On July 29, 1928, it was dedicated. Rev. L. E. Lamb preached the dedicatory sermon and Rev. Roscoe Lander offered the prayer of dedication. A collection of $147.97 was taken.

In 1953, a new basement was dug under the church, and the auditorium was redecorated. On August 28, 1953, these improvements were dedicated to the Lord. The prayer of dedication was led by Rev, M. M. James, associational missionary, and the dedicatory message was by a former pastor Rev. G. Elmo Purvis. Rev. Jerry Jenkins was pastor at the time.

On July 18, 1961, the church building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Services were held in the Latham School building until a new church building was finished. The new building was completed on October 15. 1961 and the building was dedicated December 17, 1961. The dedicatory message was brought by Dr. Curtis Hutchison. The dedication prayer was led by Roy Thixton, and the benediction was by Hughes Scherff. Rev. A. D. Langston was pastor.

In 1954, Mrs. E. E. Proctor, associational WMU president, and other women from Tipton Baptist Church and Mrs. A. B. Constantz, State WMS director, came to help the mission minded women of the church organize a Women's Missionary Society. The organization had nine charter members with Mrs. Hughes Scherff, president. The organization grew and soon became a Woman's Missionary Union with a WMS, Girls B. Auxiliary and Sunbeam Band. Names of the organizations have changed but Green Grove Church still has an active WMU providing missions opportunities for women.

In 1955, a Brotherhood organization was started for Baptist men. Robert Mitzel was elected to serve as president but the men soon lost interest and the organization was disbanded. Several years later a Royal Ambassador organization was provided for the boys, but because of lack of leader ship, it too ceased to function.

From the beginning, Sunday School was provided for all age groups. Even during the era when the church had preaching services part-time a Sunday School was provided every Sunday. The Church moved from halftime to full-time preaching services in the early fifties. Prayer services were held on Saturday night because student pastors were not on the field during the week. A Training Union was organized and often the attendance equaled or excelled the Sunday School attendance. Then night services were continued until interest dropped and it seemed no longer feasible to continue the evening preaching services.

The church has been blessed by the following thirty-two pastors: W. M. Robertson, Jesse Hickman, John Robinson, Nick Allee, Rev. Simms, Rev. Syms, J. W. Williams, T. R. White, R. L. Hood, Rev. Bruce, John Robinson, W. D. Pulois, Rev. Cox, Rev. Schuclette, J. M. Tate, Wilson Allee, Rev. Price, N. E. Williams, Rev. Hickey, Elmo Purvis, F. D. Cook, Rev. Martin, Wayne Masters, Jerry Jenkins, Bob Buster, Bill Breshears, A. D. Langston, Jim Layman, Sam Upton, Floyd Leimkiller, John Potter, Robert LaFever, and the present pastor Glenn Peters.

Deacons who have served are A. G. Hickman, Joseph Irey, Joseph Scott, D. B. Baxter, J. D. Davis, L. M. Hickman, J. J. Gerber, J. N. Medlin, Reed Irey, E. M. Pettigrew, Glenn Jobe, Robert Mitzel, and Harold Fulks. The present Deacons are Hughes Scherff and Norman Garber.

Seven men have served as church clerks besides the present clerk Dean Irey, the following have served: W. W. Grinstead, B. W. Allee, A. G. Hickman, J. D. Davis, J. J. Gerber and E. M. Pettigrew.

The following have served as treasurers: M. A. Langster, D. E. Baxter, L. M. Hickman, C. O. Boggs, Reed Irey, Hughes Scherff, Norman Garber, Edward Pettigrew, Floyd Fulks and Harold Fulks. Viola Scherff is now serving as treasurer.

From the History of Moniteau County 2000:

 

After using the Green Grove public school building for a place of worship for some time, the Christian people of the community realized their need for a place of worship. As a result, during the latter part of 1883 and the early part of 1884, the Green Grove Church house was built by the Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian. Seven brethren and sisters met and organized the Green Grove Baptist Church. The seven charter members were J. A. Scott, A. D. Smith, A. G. Hickman, W. W. Grinstead, Julie Griffin, Elizabeth Jennison, and Alice Hickman. The building, being a union building, the Baptist were allotted the first Sunday in each month.

On April 1885, the Church met and called Rev. W. M. Robinson as pastor and elected Beuford Allee and Joseph Irey as deacons. A. G. Hickman was elected church clerk. In January, 1889, Rev. Nick Allee was elected pastor at a salary of $50.00 per year.

During the year of 1926, the interest of the Methodist and Presbyterians was bought by the Baptist. At the same time., one-half acre of land was purchased which is the present sight of the church. In 1927, it was voted to move the church to this sight. The building was torn down, moved and rebuilt. On July 29, 1928, it was dedicated. Rev. L. E. Lamb preached the dedicatory sermon and Rev. Roscoe Lander offered the prayer of dedication. A collection of $147.97 was taken.

In 1953, a new basement was dug under the church, and the auditorium was redecorated. On August 28, 1953, these improvements were dedicated to the Lord. The prayer of dedication was led by Rev, M. M. James, associational missionary, and the dedicatory message was by a former pastor Rev. G. Elmo Purvis. Rev. Jerry Jenkins was pastor at the time.

On July 18, 1961, the church building was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. Services were held in the Latham School building until a new church building was finished. The new building was completed on October 15. 1961 and the building was dedicated December 17, 1961. The dedicatory message was brought by Dr. Curtis Hutchison. The dedication prayer was led by Roy Thixton, and the benediction was by Hughes Scherff. Rev. A. D. Langston was pastor.

In 1954 a Woman's Missionary Society was formed with Mrs. Viola Scherff as president. In 1955, a Brotherhood organization was started with Robert Mitzel as president. Late because of lack of interest both organizations were disbanded.

From the beginning, Sunday School was provided for all age groups. Even during the era when the church had preaching services part-time a Sunday School was provided every Sunday. The Church moved from halftime to full-time preaching services in the early fifties. Prayer services were held on Saturday night because student pastors were not on the field during the week. A Training Union was organized and often the attendance equaled or excelled the Sunday School attendance. Lack of interest led to the disbanding of the training union. Later evening preaching services were discontinued, also.

Green Grove celebrated 100 years of service 1884-1984 for the community. The Lord is still using a little rural church to tell the good news of Jesus. Rev. Kevin Blackburn is the present (in 2000) pastor.

The church has been blessed by the following 34 pastors: W. M. Robertson, Jesse Hickman, John Robinson, Nick Allee, Rev. Simms, Rev. Simms, J. W. Williams, T. R. White, R. L. Hood, Rev. Bruce, John Robinson, W. D. Pulois, Rev. Cox, Rev. Schuclette, J. M. Tate, Wilson Allee, Rev. Price, N. E. Williams, Rev. Hickey, Elmo Purvis, F. D. Cook, Roy Martin, Wayne Masters, Jerry Jenkins, Bob Buster, Bill Breshears, A. D. Langston, Jim Layman, Floyd Leimkiller, John Potter, Robert LaFever.

The following have served as deacons: A. G. Hickman, Joseph Irey, Joseph Scott, D. B. Baxter, L. M. Hickman, C. O. Boggs, Reed Irey, Hughes Scherff, Norman Garber, Floyd Fulks, Glenn Jobe, Harold Fulks, Randy Garber and Wilber Wood. Dean Irey is the present (in 2000) treasurer and church clerk.


 

Moniteau County Homepage

 


 

Please go to the contact page with questions or comments about this web site
Copyright 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: March 01, 2015