First Baptist Church (Before 1860-Present)
From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Moniteau, etc. Counties, Missouri:
The old Baptist Church of Tipton was organized prior to 1860, and a house was built during the war where the Masonic burial ground now is. Among the members was Squire Snorgrass. The present society was organized about 1866, with Isaac Snorgrass, Mrs. Clara Reider, Mrs. Sarah Gallagher and Mrs. Sarah Reynolds, members. Miss Mary Gallagher, Jacob Reider, C. C. Bane, Mrs. Bane and Frank Bane, with Mrs. Rhoda Renshaw, were members in 1868, and from the beginning of 1869 to the close of 1875 twenty-seven persons joined. In 1872 the present brick church building was erected. The Sunday-school averages about ninety scholars, with seven teachers. B. F. Reavis has served as superintendent for the last two years. The pastors since 1876 are J. K. Godby, J. Letts, 1880; W. A. Giboney, 1881; Ray Palmer, 1883; James S. Price, 1884; R. S. Menifee, 1887, and Rev. F. T. Shore, the present pastor, who came in 1888. The present membership is over 236 of the total enrollment of 257 since the society was established here. W. P. Johnson, the present clerk, succeeded Frank Bane in 1888.
From Ford's 1936 History of Moniteau County, Missouri:
TIPTON-A Baptist church was organized in Tipton prior to 1860, and a building erected on the ground occupied now by the Masonic cemetery. Membership in the sixties included representatives of the Snorgrass, Rider, Gallagher, Reynolds, Bane and Renshaw families. The site was changed to the present location in 1872 and the present building erected in 1878.
From the 1980 History of Moniteau County published by the Moniteau Co. Historical Society:
The First Baptist Church, Tipton, was organized in 1865 in a school building on East Morgan Street. Rev. J. B. Allen was the first pastor of the church. Rev. Edwin T. Brown, a native of Pennsylvania was appointed as missionary to this area by the American Baptist Home Mission Society of New York and resided in Sedalia. He helped in the establishing of the church and gave valuable assistance in raising funds for the first church building which was erected in 1866 in the north part of the city where the Masonic Cemetery now is located.
In 1872, on account of the unsafe condition of the building and because the location was unsatisfactory, the lot was purchased on Morgan Street where the present building is located, and a plain brick building was erected. Because of a defect in the foundation of this building, it too became unsafe and 1898 the third, and present, building was built. The plans for the building were drawn by Amandus P. Fitschen, a deacon and Sunday School Superintendent. This building was dedicated February 19, 1899. Rev. J. M. Plannett was pastor during this time. He was the son-in-law of Rev. Edwin T. Brown who helped in the establishing of the church.
The first deacons were: P. W. Fisher, William H. Stinson, and Jacob Reider. Mr. Reider was perhaps the first Superintendent of the Sunday School and served approximately 30 years. Mr. Charles Wareham was the first Church Clerk.
The Woman's Missionary Union was organized in 1890 by Mrs. Tom Tate during the pastorate of her husband. Mrs. Tate was the first president and Miss Murta Bane, the first secretary. In November of 1890 the first Young People's work was organized. Dollie Smith was the Superintendent.
In 1944, when extending the call to Rev. Ivan L. Coyle as pastor, the church voted to go to full time services. In 1947-48, during the pastorate of Rev. George W. Gray, the annex was built and dedicated. Dr. J. E. Dillard, a former pastor, returned for the dedication service, June 6, 1948, and preached the dedicatory sermon. Also, in 1947 the Brotherhood was organized with Roscoe Collier as the first president.
In 1949, during the pastorate of Rev. R. G. Capra, the church purchased a six-room modern parsonage on East Morgan Street. A mortgage burning ceremony was held in 1951, making the parsonage debt-free.
In 1953 the church went into an extensive remodeling and repair program and the building was changed from the Gothic style structure to a more modern type building. In 1953 plans were begun on a new educational building. The new educational unit was completed in 1956 and it was dedicated August 5, 1956 with Rev. Lloyd Collins bringing the dedicatory message that afternoon. Rev. Monroe Vaughan was pastor during this time.
Other improvements in recent years are: During 1957 the floors of the auditorium were refinished and new pews and pulpit furniture added. New carpeting .was laid in 1958. An air-conditioning Unit for the auditorium was installed in 1959. In 1960 a lot was purchased in the Fisher Addition South of Highway 50 and a new pastor's home was constructed. Open house and dedication was held on December 4, 1960. The former parsonage was sold.
In 1979 the church auditorium was repainted.
In 1961, a complete set of Maas-Rowe Chimes was installed which included Chimes at the organ which can also be heard outside, and a time clock which makes it possible for the chimes to be heard at stated times during the day from the bell shaped speaker on top of the building. These chimes were dedicated October 29, 1961, and were the gift of Mrs. Grace Harrelson in memory of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. J. Robertson, husband, Martin Harrelson, and a sister, Mrs. Nellie Ethel Martin.
In 1965 the ceiling of the auditorium was repaired and painted along with the rest of the building inside.
In July 1965 the Moss residence was purchased and used for Sunday School classes. This building was dedicated October 17, 1965. It is our present youth center which is known as the Agape Inn.
The church observed its 100th Anniversary September 20-26, 1965 with special services each night. The week climaxed on Sunday with a special invitation to all former members, basket dinner at noon, and special afternoon services.
The church was host to the 142nd Annual Meeting of the Concord Baptist Association, September 7-8, 1965. This was the seventh time in one hundred years that the Tipton church has served as host to the Annual Meeting. The years were: 1878, 1893, 1911, 1922, 1942, 1953, and 1965.
In 1968 and 1969 the Hays and Carpenter properties, respectively, were purchased and are now used as a parking lot.
In April, 1971, the Virgil Schreck property was purchased for a future building site. The church is now working on plans for a new building.
During the life of this church forty-one ministers have been called. Rev. J. D. Cooper served the longest period of time, 1958-1971, and had a great part in compiling this history. Rev. David L. Faulkner was called In June of 1979 and is the present pastor of the church.
The church has ordained three persons to the ministry:
Everett E. Hickman, February 1920, James Wright, August 8, 1937, and Wayne Garrison, February 27, 1938. Paul Larimore was licensed to preach in December 1974. Also, in April of 1974, we called our first Youth Minister, Randy Schilb to work with our young people. Since that time we have had two other Youth Ministers. There are 14 ordained deacons in the church.
From Moniteau County Missouri History 2000:
The First Baptist Church, Tipton, was organized in 1865 in a school building on East Morgan Street. The first building was erected in 1866 in the north part of the city where the Masonic cemetery is now located. Rev. J. B. Allyn was the first pastor. Rev. Edwin T. Brown was sent to Missouri by the American Baptist Home Mission Society of New York. He helped to establish and in raising funds for the first building. Rev. Brown established the First Baptist Church in Sedalia and served as pastor.
In 1872, because of the unsafe condition of the first building, a lot was purchased where the current building is located. The second building was a plain brick building and because of a defect in the foundation, it too became unsafe and in 1898 the third building was built. This building was dedicated Feb. 19, 1899. Rev. J. M. Plannet was pastor during this time. He was the son-in-law of Rev. Edwin Brown, who established the first church 33 years earlier.
After 99 years, this building was torn down and a new building was built. The construction began in February, 1997 and the first service was held in the new building in February, 1998. It was dedicated on April 19, 1998. The new building is a spacious building with adjoining office space, fellowship hall, and educational building. Rev. Charles (Dusty) Klein is the current pastor who has served the past 8 years.
Other bits of history are to be noted. In 1890, The Women's Missionary Union was organized by Mrs. Tom Tate during the pastorate of her husband. She was the first W.M.U. President. Also in 1890, the first Young People's work was organized.
In 1944, the church voted to have full-time services. In 1947, the Men's Brotherhood was organized with Roscoe Collier as its first president.
During the years of existence, the church has added to its physical facilities by building, remodeling and repairs along with purchase of property. In 1983, the church dedicated a new educational unit and reception hall. The work of the church in the community and around the world has continued. Forty-three pastors have served and nine youth workers served on the staff.
From The Illustrated History of Tipton, Missouri 1858-2008:
The First Baptist Church, Tipton, was organized in 1865 in a school building on East Morgan Street. Rev. J. B. Allyn was the first pastor of the church. Rev. Edwin T. Brown, a native of Pennsylvania and resident of Sedalia, was appointed as missionary to this area by the American Baptist Home Mission Society of New York. He helped establish the church and gave valuable assistance in raising funds for the first church building which was erected in 1866 in the north part of the city where the Masonic Cemetery is now located.
In 1872, because of the unsafe condition of the building, and because the location was unsatisfactory, a lot was purchased on the southwest corner of Morgan and Gravois where the present building is located. A plain brick building was erected there and served the congregation for about 25 years.
In 1877, a festival was given on Christmas Eve at the City Hall "under the auspices of the Baptist Church." The proceeds were devoted to the purchase of an organ for the church.
In 1890, the ladies of the Baptist church gave a festival at the Somerhauser building. Oysters and other refreshments were served. At that same time, what was described as "a protracted meeting" closed after "a truly refreshing season in religious circles." The meeting resulted in 29 additions to the church and "several other conversions." The December 11, 1890 issue of The Times listed the following as joining the church at that time: "Geo. Stetter, Sam Smith, Chloe Bryant, Roy Bane, Myrtle Bane, O.K. Brown, Sadie Ross, Amy Fry, Clara Fitschen, A.C. Fitschen, Miss Mattie Gilbert, E.D. Nelson, Mrs. P.F. Ross, Miss Early, May Nelson, Frank Howard, Mrs. Crawford, Otto Presser, Eddie Presser, Edgar Bryant, Pres. Patrick, Miss Addie Nelson, Mason Nelson, Carleton Ely, Albert Clark, Pearl White, Mrs. G. Reynolds, and Mr. and Mrs. Renshaw." The last three were united by letter.
In February 1891, a group from the Baptist chuch presented a play "The Last Loaf" to a "packed house." The Times declared that it was one of "the very best entertainments ever presented to a Tipton audience." It was also reported that the play "netted a very nice sum" which would go toward building a new Baptist church. An article in the July 16, 1891 Times noted that "the congregation of the Baptist church are having their home of worship thoroughly overhauled and repaired. Charlie Biggs has the contract and is putting the building in good condition."
In 1898, the third building was erected with beautiful Gothic towers and arched stained glass windows. It was dedicated on February 19, 1899. The pastor at the time was J.M. Plannett, the son-in-law of Rev. Edwin Brown who helped establish the church. It was erected on the same corner site as the previous building that had been razed due to a defect in the foundation.
In the August 4, 1898 Times-Gazette, the writer noted, "Almost all the frame is up and the work of laying brick veneering will soon begin. An idea of the arrangements of the new church can be had in a few glances and shows the great improvement that will be made over the old church and places this one among the best churches in Central Missouri."
In November 1908, a "Union Market" was held by the Ladies Missionary Society to raise funds for the church. The Union Market was a series of booths where goods donated by merchants were sampled and sold. Each booth was decorated and manned by someone from the Society. The merchants received publicity for their products and the ladies earned money while providing a social event. Some of the items sold were Wrigley's chewing gum, Meyer Bros. Coffee, Colgate's toilet articles, Dutch cleanser, White House canned corn, Lava soap, and Jello ice cream.
In 1944, when extending the call to Rev. Ivan L. Coyle as pastor, the church voted to go to full-time services. In 1947-48, during the pastorate of Rev. George W. Gray, an annex was built and dedicated. Dr. J.E. Dillard, a former pastor, returned to preach the sermon for the dedication service on June 6, 1948
By 1952, the church needed extensive remodeling and repair. At that time, the Gothic steeples were taken down and the style was changed to a more modern building with rectangular pastel swirled opalescent glass windows. "J. F. Morrow, contractor, is in charge of the building, with Will Scheperle, of Lohman, doing the brick work."
A new educational unit was added to the south side of the church in 1956 during the pastorate of Rev. Monroe Vaughn. The structure built by Clay Howard cost $25,000. It contained a pastor's study, nursery department, restrooms, and space for "a complete departmental Sunday School." A full basement provided six classrooms.
A new parsonage in the Fischer addition south of Highway 50 was dedicated in December 1960. It continues to serve as the pastor's home in 2008.
In 1982 the church began a building project for a new educational annex and reception hall which was dedicated on November 13, 1983. Much of that building was constructed with volunteer labor. Rev. David Faulkner was pastor during that time.
New carpeting with matching pew cushions was added in 1988 and a new central heating and air-conditioning system was installed. Rev. Don Combs was the pastor.
In 1994 a building committee recommended a new auditorium. The old auditorium that faced south was demolished and a new, larger auditorium facing west was dedicated on April 18, 1998. Rev. Charles "Dusty" Klein was pastor from 1991-2001. Rev. Paul Posey has served as pastor since 2004.
The round stained glass window above the baptistery was made by David Fenton of Tipton. A semi-circular stained glass window installed above the large windows on the north side of the auditorium was made by Doug Gannon of Nevada.
The Women's Missionary Union was organized in 1890 by Mrs. Tom Tate during the pastorate of her husband. The first Young People's work was organized in 1890. Roscoe Collier served as the first president of the Brotherhood when it was organized in 1947.
In 1968, the church built a parking lot directly east of the church sanctuary on
the southeast corner of Morgan and Gravios. The land was purchased from Gene
Edwards. Mr. Edwards purchased it from the estate of Mr. and Mrs. Willis Hays.
The residence on the property was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. Sam Cohn. Mr.
Cohn was one of the early tailors and businessmen in Tipton. The house was razed
to created needed parking space.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: February 20, 2013