Latham Christian Church (1906-Present)
From Ford's 1936 History of Moniteau County, Missouri:
The Latham Christian Church was a result of a tent meeting held in that city beginning in July 1906. All the Christian churches of Moniteau County, including California, Clarksburg, Shiloh, High Point, Tipton and Union participated in this revival in the course of which one hundred and forty-four were baptized.
Rev. J. L. Freeman is pastor, with services twice a month. Average Sunday School attendance is about ninety. B. L. Fulks and F. W. Scott are elders and Dan Basinger, C. D. Fulks, C. P. McBroom, Walter Welty, Merida Witzke, Louis Loudell and E. R. Lehman deacons.
From the 2000 History of Moniteau County, Missouri published by the Moniteau Co. Historical Society:
The Latham Christian Church was organized as the result of a large tent meeting held in the fall of 1906, lasting for several weeks. Evangelist Allen Wilson led the services. There were 172 additions with 144 being baptized, and others coming from other churches, most of them from the Highland Christian Church south of Latham. Elder J.J. Corwine was pastor of California and Highland churches and was instrumental in the plans made for a new church to built in Latham.
A committee was appointed to raise funds for the building. Those serving were: Dr. J.M. Robertson, Dr. H.W. Latham, Theo McBroom, H.H. Stark, Ed McBroom, G.W. Hutchison and H.F. Corwine. The new church was completed in 1907 at a cost of $6,000. All of the lumber was hauled to Latham in farm wagons. Nelson Sartain of California was the carpenter. He was assisted by Dick Fulks, Homer Henry and Charlie Newkirk. Elder B.F. Hill delivered the first sermon in the new church on March 4, 1907. The church was dedicated by T.A. Abbott, September 22, 1907.
On July 21, 1957 the church celebrated 50 years of organization. On that day the addition of a new educational building was also dedicated. Clayton Parkes and Carl Appel were the main carpenters, they along with members of the church donated most of the labor.
April 24, 1977 an all day meeting was held to honor the golden members of the church. Twenty-one of the thirty-four golden members living at that time were in attendance. Two of those attending, Mrs. Marianne and Mrs. Sabra Fulks were charter members 70 years ago. Another charter member Mrs. Edith Moser, was unable to attend.
Some of the pastors serving the church were: Alan Michel, Harvey Quenette, Olan Smith, Virgil Feerer, Dorothy Larimore, Arthur Ridge, Adrian McKay, R.E. Moore, Hartford Inlow, Don Rooks, Ed Feisal, George Igo, A.O. Guy, Bert Stover, J.L. Freeman, S.R. Johnson, S.H. Williamson, Bro. Tankersley, Bro. Morrow, Bro. Giddens, B.F. Hill and H.J. Corwine.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: November 19, 2013