The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1980-Present)
From The Illustrated History of Tipton, Missouri 1858-2008:
The Tipton branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is located about three miles south of Tipton on the east side of Highway 5. The church held an open house at their new building in May 1989.
The local branch was organized in March 1980 with about 50 members. They met in the Presbyterian Church building until their initial structure was completed. Since that time, additional construction has provided a much larger facility.
At the time the new building was completed, there were approximately 100 members. In 2008, about 260 members are on the roll. The first branch president and was a Mr. Clark. The current (2008) branch president is Brian Ranney.
The building contains a chapel, six classrooms, two offices, kitchen and storage, rest room facilities, and a baptismal font. There is a general Cultural Hall that serves as a large group recreation room and contains a small basketball court. Folding doors separate it from the main chapel to expansion of the chapel, as needed. There are smaller general meeting areas for different age groups in addition to the classrooms and a church library.
The Family History Center is open to the public one day a week. The two-room center has computers as well as microfilm and microfiche readers for accessing genealogy records.
Youth activities are held on Wednesday nights. High school age members meet each day before school as well. The church also sponsors a Boy Scouts Pack, Troop 93.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: February 21, 2013