Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church (1863-1975; 1986-Present)
From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Cole, Moniteau, etc Counties, Missouri:
Emmanuel Church, German Lutheran, was established at Heyssell's (at Bethel Church) about twenty-six years ago. In 1873 the place of meeting was at Jamestown. F. Wittenburger, F. W. Fischer, R. Hecht (deceased), A. S. Heyssell, Henry Kuhn, A. F. E. Heyssell, A. F. G. Heyssell, H. Beckemeir (deceased) F. W. T. Heyssell, C. Knorp, A. Koegler, old members; F. H. Woodenberger, M. A. Willers, Gott. C. Sperber, F. Willors, Gotlop Sperber, H. Buroughs and others were among the members in 1882, when the present house of worship was erected, the subscription being $610; the building cost over $1,000. Among the pastors were Revs. H. Juengel, Lange, H. Hunzikger, A. Claus, C. F. Johanning and Theo. Meyer, who is also pastor of Gooch Mill Church.
From the 2000 History of Moniteau County:
In October 1986, Pastor E.M. Priess of Trinity Clarks Fork, Boonville, Missouri held a Mission Festival service at the Lutheran Church in Jamestown after being closed for 11 years. The main purpose was to see if there was an inter in re-opening the church.
After three years, on January 27, 1989, a meeting was held at the Lutheran Church to become a congregation. On January 28, 1991, Peter D. Schlup, chairman and Sharon Flippin, secretary, signed the charter to become a member of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
A special Charter Sunday was held on September 15, 1991. The following signed the charter (church constitution): Pastor E. M. Priess, William and June Gerlach, Mary A. Loertcher, Randy, Sharon, Brandon and Grant Flippin, Kevin Flippin, Mary Ann and John Ashworth, Leroy and Genevieve Schlup, Cheryl and Trent Crawford, Joyce Pearcy, Jerry Pensonneault, Peter, Donna, Laura and Brian Schlup, Venie Golden, and Beverly Hees.
On August 14, 1992, a new addition to the church was started which included a kitchen, dining room area, pastor room, and two restrooms. During the summer of 1996, the chapel was redone, the old wall was taken out, with new ones added, old windows replaced with new stained glass windows. Each window represents one of "The Six Chief Parts Of Christian Documents." The kitchen cabinets were added in 1997 and 1998. An Aid Association for Lutherans Branch #10130 was started in 1995.
The pastors have been Rev. E. M. Priess (1987-1992); Rev. William Dubberke (1992-1996); Rev. Timothy Daene (1997-1998); Rev. Luther Herman (1999-Present ).
The church is part of a tri-parish with Immanuel Lutheran Pleasant Grove, near Prairie Home, and Trinity Lutheran Clarks Fork, near Boonville.
While redoing the Chapel floor, under the altar, we found two pieces of wood. One of them stated that the church was built in 1881. The second stated that the altar was redone in 1945 and the cost. A third one was added saying that the chapel was redone with the year and costs.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: November 03, 2013