Moniteau Evangelical Advent Church (1848-Present)
Rt D, southwest of Jamestown; north of California
The front and rear of the church and the old school (at right).
See what the current congregation is doing on the Moniteau Evangelical Advent Church website.
** The first church (log 28 x 30 ft) was
dedicated November 28, 1859
**The second church (54 x 26 ft) was dedicated August 22, 1886
** In 1897 the present school house was built. The last class to use the building were the confirmands of 1918, when the parochial school closed
**The German language was gradually discontinued around 1918.
**The first Sunday School was organized around 1870
**The first women's group, "The Frauvereins" was organized in Nov 1896
**The cemetery board was organized in 1938-1939
**The first log parsonage was built around 1867 and was replaced by a six room, frame house in 1903. It was torn down in 1985
**Wilbur Zaugg was the first person baptized in the present church. Paul Bauer was the second
Charter Members on November 19, 1848:
Johann Heinrich Roedel
Jacob V Geminden
Pastor's who have served
Moniteau Advent Church:
Rev Carl Hoffmeister 1848-1857
Rev Lange 1858
Rev Streit 1858
Rev A W Roder 1859
Rev Jacob Vontobel 1860-1866
Rev Fr. Delveau 1867-1872
Rev Carl Krafft 1872-1875
Rev Fr Woelfle 1875-1883
Rev H Mohr 1883-1886
Rev Ad Th Leutwein 1886-1888
Rev Ad Klingeberger 1888-1893
Rev Wm H Alber 1893-1894
Rev John Kuhn 1894-1895
Rev E Brenion 1895-1898
Rev C Gabler 1898-1905
Rev C F Werth 1905-1909
Rev F Gadow 1909-1914
Rev E Bekeschus 1915-1918
Rev C T Schaefer 1919-1921
Rev H Henning 1922-1927
Rev Theo Pfundt 1927-1931
Rev P Rahmeier 1931-1932
Rev E W Pusch 1932-1934
Rev E A Wahl 1934-1936
Rev F C Allrich 1936-1939
Rev A F Schultz 1940-1951
Rev I B Stegner 1951-1961
Rev Theo Haefele 1961-1963
Rev Walter Schacht 1963-1966
Rev Wm Sabbert 1966-1971
Rev Richard Ferris 1971-1984
Rev Joe Fay 1985-1987
Rev Ruth Hotle 1987-1988
Rev Troy Gardner 1988-1991
Rev Chester Marshall 1991-2010
Rev Brian Bish 2010-Present
The following is taken from "Moniteau Advent Church 150th Anniversary 1848-1998" booklet in the Moniteau County Historical Society's Genealogy Library
The first settlers in the Moniteau community were German-Swiss Evangelicals, who came to America in the early 1830's seeking economic prosperity, religious and political freedom. The land they came to was a thicket of brush and timber. They worked long hard hours clearing the land, using the felled trees to build their homes, barns, and fences. Life was very difficult -- disease and death were always at their door. yet through all their struggles, they gave thanks to God for his love and everlasting faithfulness.
In the spring of 1848, the Rev. Carl Hoffmeister, a young missionary pastor sponsored by the Basel Missionary Society of Germany, came riding in the Moniteau community. He had traveled by horseback from what is now the Salem United Church of Christ near McGirk, to offer his services in bringing the Word of God to the people.
After preaching to the families in their homes for about 8 months, his labors were rewarded and on November 19, 1848, twelve men met to organize the church. The pastor read the Constitution, which was agreed to by the personal signature of each and "Der Evangeleschein Gemeinde" came into being. The twelve charter members were: Carl Schaaf, Heinrich Dietzel, Val Werdtmann, George Wachter, Jacob Kiesling, Christian Sperber, Herman Knoepker, Heinrich Bauer, Phillip Keil, Erhardt Kiesling, Jacob V Geminden and Johann Heinrich Roedel.
In 1859, the first church building was dedicated. It was a crude log structure 28 ft by 30 ft -- its benches hewn from logs. It was built on the "Church 40" (Forty acres of land which had been purchased from herman Knoepker shortly after the church was organized for the sum of $55).
The second church, 54 ft by 26 ft, costing $1,200, was dedicated in 1886. The old building was used for the parochial school until 1897. Many German churches established their own educational system and the "Herr Pastore" became the "Schulemeister." Confirmation plus other basic subjects were taught and all reading and writing were done in German. The last class to use the building was the confirmands of 1918, when the parochial school was closed.
The cornerstone of the present church building (pictured above) was laid in 1924. It was completed and dedicated in 1925.
Yearly church minutes record several affiliations of Advent:
*In 1884, "Der Evangelischein Advents Gemeinde" became part of the German Evangelical
Synod of North America.
*In 1934, after the merger of the Evangelical and the Reformed Church in America, it became the Advent Evangelical and Reformed Church of the Kansas City Synod.
*In 1961, after the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Church with the Congregational Christian Church, it became the Advent United Church of Christ, the Missouri Conference.
*After St Peter's (Pleasant Grove) and St Paul's, Jamestown, were organized, Advent became part of a three-point charge until 1893, when it became an independent church. However, in 1971, Advent again joined St Peter's and St Paul's to form the Jamestown United Church of Christ Cooperative Ministry. The Tri-Church Council meets twice each year to coordinate plans.
Other facts recorded in the minutes are:
*The first Sunday School was organized around 1870
*The first women's group, "The Frauvereins," was organized in November 1896. The charter members wer Frau Brenion (the pastor's wife), Frau Sophia Roedel (Mrs Erhardt), and Fraulein's Elizabeth Fischer and Katherine Burger
*In 1920, the name of "Frauvereins" was changed to "The Ladies Aid Society;" in 1941 it became "The Women's Guild" of the Evangelical and Reformed church; and in 1965 in became "The Women's Fellowship" of the United Church of Christ. The 100th Anniversary was celebrated on November 6, 1996
*The Cemetery Board was organized in 1938-1939 and a permanent fund was established for upkeep. In early 1998 it balance totaled $51,000
*The first log parsonage, built sometime around 1867, was replaced by a six-room frame house in 1903. It was home for the pastor's families until 1966. In 1985 it was torn down
*Mission Festivals, Vacation Bible School, Ice Cream Socials, Church School picnics that were held and of Advent's participation in Annual Synodical, Conference and Area Meetings
Since its beginning, church families of Advent have come together on the Sabbath to praise God and give thanks for his everlasting love and faithfulness. The sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion have been celebrated and many young people have received the blessing of Confirmation.
Mention should also be made of the Great Oak Tree which stood as a sentinel in front of the church for 148 years. In the summer of 1996, it could no longer withstand the storms of time and was demolished during a windstorm. The present congregation will always miss the Great Oak; however, two new Oaks are growing from its seed and Memorial trees have been planted to give beauty to the church grounds for future generations to enjoy.
Our history would not be complete without paying tribute to the 33 pastors, 2 lay pastors, and to all the faithful members who have served Advent over the years.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: January 17, 2013