Presbyterian Church (1872-1969)

California

 

 

From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Cole, Moniteau, etc Counties, Missouri:

 

The Presbyterian Church of California was dedicated April 19, 1885, by Dr. Brank, Dr. Lacy and other preachers. The building, a brick one, 32x60 feet, with the lot, cost $3,600, the last $400 of which was paid that day.

 

From the Thursday, April 2, 1914 Moniteau County Herald:

 

The Presbyterian Church

 

The California Presbyterian Church was organized at a meeting held at the Methodist Church April 9, 1872.

 

The services were conducted by Rev. B. T. Lacy, D. D. and Rev. B. H. Charles, pastor of the Boonville Presbyterian Church. After full consideration it was unanimously decided to organize an “Old School Presbyterian Church.” The following persons were charter members: R. Q. Roache, Rebecca Roache, Thomas Nelson Biggs, Josephine Biggs, N. C. Rice, Margaret Rice and Hiram McGowan. R. Q. Roache and T. N. Biggs were elected Elders of the new church, and ordained and installed at the meeting held that night. Judge Roache was elected Clerk of the Session, which position he held almost continuously until his death in 1908, rendering faithful and efficient service.

 

On June 17, 1883, took place the union with the Congregational Church of California. The Congregational Church was organized May 11, 1867, with seven members, Mrs. Charlotte Moore being the only surviving member. The first pastor was Rev. F. G. Sherrill from 1868 to 1876. By this union the following persons were received into the membership of the Presbyterian Church: A. B. Stevenson, Mrs. Lydia J. Stevenson, Miss Emma J. Stevenson, H. B. Stevenson, Adam J. Light, Mrs. Carloine Light, John W. Moore, Mrs. Charlotte W. Moore, Miss Charlotte W. Moore, John M. Williams and Mrs. Alice G. Williams.

 

At a congregational meeting held June 14th, 1884, John W. Moore, R. Q. Roache and J. W. Ross were appointed a Building Committee, and instructed “to proceed at their discretion, to devise plans to erect a house of worship as soon as practicable.” On September 21st, R. Q. Roache, T. N. Biggs and John W. Moore were elected Trustees of the Church.

 

April 19th, 1885, was a glad day for the members of the little church at which time the dedication of their new brick building took place. The sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Brank, of St. Louis, and the prayer of dedication was offered by the pastor, Dr. Lacy.

 

The first Sabbath School of the church was April 26th, 1885, with John M. Williams as Superintendent; N. C. Rice, Assistant; harry Biggs, Secretary; Frank Rice, Treasurer and Miss V. P. Gray, organist.

 

The Presbytery of Missouri met with the church April 7th, 1888, with large attendance. Following the meeting of Presbytery a revival meeting was held, at which fourteen members were received.

 

On Monday night, May 23, 1887 was held the first weekly prayer meeting, led by T. N. Biggs. Previous to this time the prayer meeting had been held monthly, Monday night succeeding the third Sunday.

 

The first pastor of the church was B. H. Charles, who served the church once a month during 1874-75. He was followed by Dr. B. T. Lacy, who was pastor from 1876 to 1887. Then followed in turn, Rev. T. S. Simrall from 1888-1894; Rev. W. H. Fergurson from 1894 to 1897; Rev. R. H. Latham from 1897 to 1898; Rev. H. B. Boude from 1898 to 1903; Dr. W. R. Henderson from 1905 to 1906; During the summer of 1909, Rev. John Crockett acted as supply. The present pastor, Rev. G. W. Jurey, was called May 18, 1910.

 

At a meeting of the Deacons held in February 1913, the question of a new building was discussed, it being felt that the old one was inadequate for the needs of the church. A canvas of the members was made and the liberal response met with insured the success of the enterprise.

 

On March 30th, at the Congregational meeting it was unanimously voted to proceed to the erection of a new building and the Deacons of the church were appointed a Building Committee as follows: H. E. Blakeman, Wm. Heck, C. E. Tieman, C. K. Wilson, L. M. Gray.

 

Plans for the new building were prepared by Gen. M. F. Bell of Fulton, Missouri, and on May 25th the contract was let to Benjamin Inman, of this city.

 

Farewell services were held in the old building Sunday evening, May 18th, when short addresses were made by the pastor and Mr. J. W. Hunter, and a brief history of the church was read by Judge J. M. Williams. The work of demolishing the old building began the next day.

 

The cornerstone of the new building was laid July 21st at 7:00 P.M. in the presence of a large crowd. The building has been completed at a cost of $15,000. It is built of first class material throughout and it is modern in its appointments. The beautiful pipe organ is a gift to the church from one of its members, Miss Olivia Eitzen and Mr. Andrew Carnegie. The dedication will take place Sunday morning, April 5th.

 

 

Part of an article from the April 9, 1914 Moniteau County Herald newspaper:

The New Presbyterian Church

Dedicated to His Service, Imposing and Attractive

 

The new Presbyterian church which has been under construction for the past ten months, and was nearly completed before the winter came on was dedicated last Sunday morning.

 

The new building was of Memorial architecture and was designed by Colonel Bell, the Fulton architect. Ben Inman of California was the contractor. O. E. Sprouse did the carpenter work and had daily charge of the construction work when the contractor was away. The roofing was done by a Jefferson City firm and L. W. Fuerst was the decorator. The basement floor contains the Sunday School room and ladies parlor, with a large heating plant. The Sunday School room is constructed so it can be used to serve meals. The second floor is used for the auditorium, and has a gallery at the east entrance, the new pipe organ is at the west end. The auditorium is made especially attractive and conveniently arranged and is large enough to seat about three hundred. The interior is finished in dark golden oak, and the decorations are in fresco and wall tint, the ceiling India ivory and the walls in Circasian buff.

 

The new church was made for service and has all the modern conveniences; it is especially attractive on the interior and exterior and stands a monument to the enterprise, devotion and sacrifice of a congregation not large in numbers, but an active and never tiring in the Master's cause. The congregation has many of California's progressive business and professional men in it, and they have put method into the work from the first.

 

Rev. G. W. Jurey, the pastor, has been with the congregation a little less than four years, and he has not only stamped his value on the congregation, but has impressed all California with his sincere devotion, and ceaseless working for the Kingdom and for California. In all the worthy enterprises started in California Rev. Jurey has given his sanction and his good right hand. The people of his congregation have been with him. The past year has been one of unusually hard work for the pastor, Rev Jurey but he has come through it all smiling, not at his own success but for the good that has been accomplished for his congregation, for his city, and for his Master. The members of the California Presbyterian church are winners and they have done the work under the leadership of a man whose heart is truly in the work.

 

The California Presbyterian church was organized at a meeting held at the Methodist church April 9, 1872.

 

The services were conducted by Rev. B. T. Lacy, D. D. and Rev. B. H. Charles, pastor of the Boonville Presbyterian church. After full consideration it was unanimously decided to organize an "Old School Presbyterian Church." The following persons were charter members: R. Q. Roache, Rebecca Roache, Thomas Nelson Biggs, Josephine Biggs, N. C. Rice, Margaret Rice and Hiram McGowan. R. Q. Roache and T. N. Biggs were elected Elders of the new church and ordained and installed at a meeting held that night. Judge Roache was elected Clerk of the Session, which position he held almost continuously until his death in 1908, rendering faithful and efficient service.

 

On June 17, 1883, took place the union with the Congregational Church of California. The Congregational church was organized May 11, 1867, with seven members, Mrs. Charlotte Moore being the only surviving member. The first pastor was Rev. F. G. Sherrill from 1868 to 1876. By this union the following persons were received into the membership of the Presbyterian Church: A. B. Stevenson, Mrs. Lydia J. Stevenson, Miss Emma J. Stevenson, H. B. Stevenson, Adam J. Light, Mrs. Carloine Light, John W. Moore, Mrs. Charlotte W. Moore, John M. Williams, and Mrs. Alice G. Williams.

 

At a congregational meeting held June 14th, 1884, John W. Moore, R. Q. Roache and J. W. Ross were appointed a building committee, and instructed "to proceed at their discretion, to devise plans to erect a house of worship as soon as practicable." On September 21st, R. Q. Roache, T. N. Biggs and John W. Moore were elected Trustees of the Church.

 

April 19th, 1885, was a glad day for the members of the little church at which time the dedication of their new brick building took place. The sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Brank, of St. Louis, and the prayer of dedication was offered by the pastor, Dr. Lacy.

 

The first Sabbath School of the church was April 26th, 1885, with John M. Williams as Superintendant, N. C. Rice, Assistant, Harry Biggs, Secretary, Frank A. Rice, Treasurer, and Miss V. P. Gray, organist.

 

The Presbytery of Missouri met with the church April 7th, 1888, with large attendance. Following the meeting of Presbytery a revival meeting was held, at which fourteen members were received.

 

On Monday night, May 23rd, 1887 was held the first weekly prayer meeting, led by T. N. Biggs. Previous to this time the prayer meeting had been held monthly, Monday night succeeding the third Sunday.

 

The first pastor of the church was Rev. B. H. Charles, who served the church once a month during 1874-75. He was followed by Dr. B. T. Lacy, was was pastor from 1876 to 1887. Then followed in turn, Rev. T. S. Simrall from 1888 to 1894; Rev. W. H. Fergurson from 1894 to 1897; Rev. R H. Latham from 1897 to 1898; Rev. H. B. Boude from 1898 to 1908; Rev. W. R. Henderson from 1905 to 1906. During the summer of 1909, Rev. John Crockett acted as supply. The present pastor, Rev. G. W. Jurey, was called May 18, 1910.

 

At a meeting of the Deacons held in February, 1913, the question of a new building was discussed, it being felt that the old one was inadequate for the needs of the church. A canvas of the members was made and the liberal response met with insured the success of the enterprise.

 

On March 30th, at a Congregational meeting it was unanimously voted to proceed to the erection of a new building, and the Deacons of the church were appointed a Building Committee as follows: H. E. Blakeman, Wm. Heck, C. E. Tieman, C. K. Wilson, L.M. Gray.

 

Plans for the new building were prepared by Gen. M. F. Bell, of Fulton, Missouri, and on May 15th the contract was let to Benjamin Inman, of this city.

 

Farewell services were held in the old building Sunday evening, May 18th, when short addresses were made by the pastor and Mr. J. W. Hunter, and a brief history of the church was read by Judge J. M. Williams. The work of demolishing the old building began the next day.

 

The cornerstone of the new building was laid July 21st, at 7:00 p.m. in the presence of a large crowd. The building has been completed at a cost of $15,000. It is built of first class material throughout and it is modern in its appointments. The beautiful pipe organ is a gift to the church from one of its members, Miss Olivia Eitzen, and Mr. Andrew Carnegie.

 

From Ford's 1936 History of Moniteau County:

 

This church was organized on April 9, 1872 by Revs. B. H. Charles, Porter Boone and B. T. Lacy, with the following seven members: R. Q. Roache, Rebecca Roache, Thomas Nelson Biggs, Josephine Biggs, N. C. Rice, Margaret Rice, and Hiram McGowan.

 

The first church building was dedicated in 1885, the present building in 1914. Rev. B. T. Lacy, D. D. was the first pastor. Sunday School was organized in 1885. The present pastor, Dr. J. S. Raird, is now serving his fifth year.

 

Officers of the church include H. E. Heninger, Harry F. Heck. C. J. Bender, W. H. Hadwin and Dr. D. L. Stark, elders; and deacons, C. E. Tieman, W. P. Calhoun and D. A. Cone, W. P. Cody, R. R. Conrad, Thos R. Lawrence.

 

This church has probably furnished a greater number of conspicuously outstanding citizens than any other church in the county in proportion to its enrollment.

 

Note: The date of disbandment comes from the Presbyterian Church USA History website. According to the website, the records for this church are held at the Presbyterian Historical Society, 425 Lombard St., Philadelphia, PA.

 

From the February 5, 1970 California Democrat:

 

Church of Christ Buys Building

The Church of Christ has purchased the Presbyterian Church building and parsonage from the board of directors of the former congregation. The Presbyterians disbanded about two years ago when there were only 15 active members left in the congregation.

 

The Presbyterian Church was organized in the 1860's and the present church was built in 1913.

 

The Church of Christ has been meeting in the building since a mission was started in July of 1968. Lindsay Patterson was employed as pastor and arrived here with his family last January.

 

The parsonage has been completely redecorated and work has begun on the church. The basement has been divided into six classrooms and the sanctuary will be remodeled and redecorated as funds become available.

 

Kenyon Latham, Jr. has purchased the pipe organ and is expected home from Minnesota this weekend to begin dismantling it.

 

 

If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.


 

Moniteau County Homepage

 


 

Please go to the contact page with questions or comments about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014