Christian Church (1873-early 1940's)
History of Clarksburg, Missouri 1882-1984:
At a meeting held by Elder William Pinkerton, Evangelist, for the 11th Missionary District of the State of Missouri, the Church of Clarksburg, Moniteau County, Missouri was constituted. Its officers chosen and additions made to its number.
August 4, 1873, sixteen original members were first constituted: John B Meyer, Margaret Meyer, William J Meyer, John F Meyer, W G Meyer, Milly Sappington, Hartley Sappington, Margaret Sappington, Hester Minster, Frank Spieler, John McPherson, A R Bybee, John Stokley, Madison Terry, and Adaline Terry.
The Christian Church was one of three denominations using the Union Church building, which was built in 1870.
A meeting was called on August 31, 1885 after circulating a subscription paper for building fund and receiving the encouragement that insured the erection of a house, the meeting voted that the chairman Elder H C Patterson appoint a building committee; the following were appointed: Jasper Robertson, Frank Spieler, Blue Bybee.
The Christian Church bought the building from the Second Baptist Church. It stood in the north part of town, a large building with pretty furnishings, a wood stove standing in the middle of the house served as the source of heat.
The church disbanded in the early 1940's, the furnishings and building were sold at public auction.
If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014