Haldiman Chapel (1863-Before 1924)
Southwest of Jamestown
Picture included in the History of Jamestown 1837-1987
From History of Jamestown, Missouri 1837-1987:
The small burial ground southwest of Jamestown was once known as the Kubli Cemetery because a family by the name of Kubli donated the land for it. It is now called Kubli-Chapel or simply Chapel cemetery, commemorating a rural chapel that once stood south of the cemetery. The chapel had been called Haldiman Chapel because the first community chapel had been so called. It had been built on the Christian Haldiman farm, which is now (1987) the Hein place, probably because that farm was a natural gathering place having a saw and flour mill and a blacksmith shop.
The California Democrat for June 11, 1986, had the following account in its "Past in Review" column in the 100 years ago news:
"The new church being built this spring at Haldiman's Mill is nearly completed. It is a neat, little, convenient house for the population of the Moniteau Valley for Union meetings and Sunday School. It has been built by subscriptions, liberally donated by the people of the surrounding vicinity, for which the trustees are under many obligations; also the American citizens of Walker and Linn townships. The Church will be dedicated June 20th."
Before the chapel described above was built, there had been a community effort to worship together. Meetings were held in various homes and Sunday School was conducted regularly. Ministers who served them were of both the Methodist and Evangelical faiths.
As early as 1854, the German-speaking pioneers began meeting together and on February 4, 1863, a group of 20 men placed their names on a constitution which they drew up. They were: John Zurlinden, Jacob Eggiman, Emmanuel Kubli, Ulrich Oerly, John Haldiman, Jacob Haldiman, John Mischler, Christian Gefeller, Ferdinand Christian, Mr. Walker, Christian Hossman, Kaspar Mueller, Christian Haldiman, Alexander Burger, Gottlieb Rehkoph, Fritz Gentzsch, Frederich Haldiman, John Nickles, Peter Nickles, and Samuel Burger.
It was this organization which some time later was successful in building the first chapel. It stood for a time on the Haldiman farm and then was moved to stand near the cemetery. It was moved on rollers which turned on planks which had to brought forward by horse and mule power. After a time that chapel burned but it was rebuilt on the same site near the cemetery. The late Rev. W H Sabbert preached the dedicatory sermon. This, the second chapel, served for a time but later it was abandoned and sold because its use as a community building was no longer important since most of the families had a good means of transportation which took them easily to Jamestown to worship with larger groups.
Haldiman Chapel tells an accurate story of early settlers in Linn Township who were eager for religious instruction and willing to put forth the effort to make worship a part of their hard-working lives.
The Haldiman Chapel Church building burned to the ground Monday, May 5, 1924. It was thought that sparks from the steam engine pulling the road grader were the cause of the fire. When it was discovered the roof was ablaze and the wind was blowing a high gale. The fire spread into the woods but with heroic work by the neighbors, the Fairview School was saved.
If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: October 22, 2011