Liberty Baptist Church (Bef 1825-Abt 1912)

South of Tipton

 

 

Pastors of Liberty Baptist Church

This list is very incomplete

From approximately 1825-1882:

Thomas V. Greer

Chaney

Duncan

Akens

J.K. Godbey

Wm. Wood

 

From 1907-1912:

Isaac Riggs

I. Barbour

 

From page 246 of Duncan's History of Baptists in Missouri (Published 1882):

Liberty, another of the early churches was formed prior to 1825 by Brethren Longan and Woods, located in what is now Moniteau County. Its pastors have been T.V. Greer, Chaney, Duncan, Akens, J.K. Godbey, and Wm. Wood.

 

From A History of Lamine Baptist Association of Missouri 1872-1971:

Copy obtained from Missouri State Archives, Jefferson City, Missouri

 

Liberty was one of the early churches of central Missouri, formed prior to 1825 by Brethren Longan and Woods. It was located in what is now Moniteau County, some six miles southwest of Tipton and northwest of Fortuna. It was received into Concord Association in 1825. Early pastors were: T V Greer, Chaney, Duncan, Akin, J K Godby and Wm Wood. It was at Liberty Church that a preliminary meeting was held in September of 1872 in preparation for the organization of the Lamine Association.

 

In 1907, Liberty Church was received into Lamine Association. It last reported to that body in 1912. Pastors whose names were reported during that time were: Isaac Riggs and I Barbour. Chas. Kumberg was clerk.

 

The meeting house in use in the memory of persons now living was a small white frame structure, like most church buildings around the turn of the century. Some of the foundation stones may still be seen (1971), though they have been moved from the exact site. It is known that some Negro people of the neighborhood are buried in the cemetery, which is two or three acres in area.

 

From a document labeled Church Records in the vertical files of the Moniteau Co. Historical Society:

Old Liberty Baptist Church

Old Liberty Baptist Church and cemetery was located thirteen miles north of Versailles, was in Cooper County before 1833 when Morgan County was organized. Later the county of Moniteau [1845] was organized in this area.

 

Duncan's History of Missouri Baptists, published 1882, says ". . . Rev. Shannon Akins was one of Liberty Church, earliest ministers.

 

Shannon Akin, came to Missouri from Louisville, Kentucky, began preaching at about age 23 and served in area churches for forty years. The town of Akinsville, Mo. in Morgan County was named for him. The town sprang up at this location when the Missouri Pacific was completed from Boonville to Versailles. He gave land for Akinsville Baptist Church and cemetery.

 

Rev. Akin was moderator of the Baptist Association in 1848 at Freedom Baptist Church; served Mt. Carmel Baptist Church 1850; served Upper Gravios, later called Ritchie Church; and served Old Liberty, 1867-1868; and 1874 served Mt. Olive Baptist Church in Florence, Mo.

 

Rev. Akin had dark hair, was big of stature and rode horseback to area churches, carrying his Bible to the places he served in Morgan, Moniteau and adjoining counties. Rev. Shannon Akin and his wife, Kiturah, are buried at Akinsville, Mo. cemetery.

 

Old Liberty Church records are incomplete.

James Yows was a charter member and Deacon.

Joseph Carpenter [was a] charter member and son of Jonathan Carpenter.

Phillip H. Adair joined in 1860, his wife Mabel was the daughter of A.J. Patton.

James S. Howard was an early member (son of Lot and Matilda Howard).

James T. Smith died of cholera [in] 1866 [and was] buried here but re-buried October 1878 in Masonic cemetery in Tipton, Mo.

Sallie Ann (McDaniel) died March 1915, was the wife of John B. Hunter.

Rev. Thomas V. Greer 1813-1879 preached here, buried here.

Rev. John Adair, born 1846, died 1908, preached and buried here.

Shannon Akins second wife is buried here.

 

The Concord Baptist Association met at Liberty Church, Moniteau County, about six miles southwest of Tipton, Mo. on September 18-20, 1872. Fourteen churches withdrew to organize the Lamine Baptist Association.

 

Only a few foundation stones remain to mark the spot where the frame church building once stood.

 

If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.


 

Moniteau County Homepage

 


 

Please go to the contact page with questions or comments about this web site
Copyright 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014