Mt Zion Baptist Church (1833-1960)
4 miles north of Jamestown on Rt Y
Merged w/Union Baptist Church in 1960 to form Jamestown Baptist Church
Pictures by Alan Sparks, 2006 and 2009
Can be viewed with cemetery information here.
History of Jamestown, Missouri 1837-1987:
Mt Zion Church located four miles north of Jamestown merged with the Union Baptist Church when Union was moved to Jamestown. The building remains (still standing in 2011).
Mt Zion disbanded in 1960 when members merged with the Union Baptist Church at Jamestown or the Lupus Baptist church. Mt Zion is still maintained by a separate fund of donations from interested people. Improvements to the building preceding 1975 included roof repairs and painting.
The present church, which replaced one destroyed by fire, was built in 1880. The church celebrated its 100th anniversary in September of 1933. In the late 1950's it was decided to merge with Union, located just south and west of Jamestown. The two churches formed what is the present Jamestown Baptist Church. The main auditorium of the Jamestown Church is the old Union Church which was moved into town and additions built on at that time. In 1986 a $25,000 improvement program was done including a baptistery, choir loft and new siding.
Much sentiment in the Jamestown and Lupus areas remains for Mt Zion as ancestors are buried in the cemetery.
If anyone has information on this church, please contact Alan Sparks.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: August 02, 2014