Moniteau County, Missouri
A Brief History of Magnolia and Mount Vernon, Missouri
(From the 1889 History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries & Osage Counties, Missouri by Goodspeed; pages 383-386)
[Ed Note: Neither of these places exist in 2008]
Magnolia, six miles southwest of California, ceased to be the post office of the district prior to 1885. For years it was the post office center of Pilot Grove township, W. W. Brannan being master in 1875.
Mount Vernon was laid out in the fall of 1836 or 1837 by H. Ray and John T. Thornton, who were the first general merchants. Some time after this Ray bought out Thornton, and continued the business several years. Mount Vernon was used as a boat landing long before this, and has been used at intervals since. In 1837 the town contained several families, a general store, blacksmith shop, grocery, school and tobacco factory. There is nothing here at present  but a boat landing.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments
about this web site
Copyright © 1997- Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb, All Rights Reserved.
Last modified: July 23, 2014