Moniteau County, Missouri
A Brief History of Latham, McGirk and Sandy Hook, Missouri
(From the 1889 History of Cole, Moniteau, Morgan, Benton, Miller, Maries & Osage Counties, Missouri by Goodspeed)
This hamlet is the center of a rich agricultural district. As a village it owes its origin to Dr. Latham, as told in other pages. He, in August 1884, made an addition to the town. Latham Commercial College is presided over by J. L. Roark. In 1883 there were in this neighborhood a group of old settlers, some of them pioneers. Their names were Johnny Dunham, Robert Moore, Derrett Hubbert, B. Wright, Grandpa Pettigrew, William Elliott, Mr. Waterhouse, Thomas Petree, James Taliaferro, a total of nine men and 695 years.
McGirk, six miles east of California, was made a post office station in 1880. H. Buente, the general merchant at that point, was postmaster. Sarah E. McGirk's addition was acknowledged May 9, 1866. The Leuenberger Cheese Facotry, near McGirk, some horses and stock were destroyed by fire in April, 1888, and Mr. L., himself, died from burns received. Trachsel's house, near California, also burned.
Frank Rollins opened the first store at Sandy Hook in 1846, then followed by William Rollins, next by David E. G. Rollins and last by C. G. Hickox, prior to 1856, with Lewis Reed, clerk. this town stood on the banks of the Missouri, in this county, and before the war was on the center of the sount half of Section 1, Township 46, Range 14, but within the las decade and a half the river washed away the bank, and now strikes the east line of Section 2, this bringing the confluence of Factory Creek into the river at that point when formerly it enter the river in Section 24. Mr. Nickles, of Jamestown, is under the impression that the Missouri will yet take away the island, as it has already moved much of Sections 10, 11, 14 and 15 of Township 47, Range 14.
Moniteau County Homepage
Please go to the
contact page with questions or comments about this
Copyright © 2004-2009 Alan Sparks - Moniteau County MOGenWeb
Last modified: February 24, 2009